My First Day at Gym in Berlin : [First Experience]
My name is Alexa Hayes, and I've been loving life in Berlin for ten years now. At 25, I'm usually super busy building my company. But today was different. It was the big day: my very first time ever stepping into a gym, specifically John Reed here in Berlin. Talk about a wake-up call I'd put off for way too long!What I ate that day?
It wasn't like I just woke up one morning and thought, "Time to hit the gym!" Nah, it was more like this soft feeling. All those special Berlin winters, endless coffee shop dates, and delicious late-night kebabs? Yeah, they added up. My body, which used to be pretty quick, started feeling… slow. My clothes, once comfy, were starting to feel tight. And while my brain was always buzzing with new ideas for my company, my body was clearly telling me, "Hey, we need to move!"Getting Ready!
Choosing a gym felt like a major task, similar to finding the next big idea for my company. I spent ages online, reading reviews, comparing prices, and even peeked into a few places. Each time, I'd get this fluttery feeling and just back out. All those super-muscly, perfect-looking people in the gym ads? They just made me feel so small, haha. Would I be the obvious newbie? Would people observe and make judgments? These thoughts were stuck on repeat in my head.Finally, after weeks of putting it off, I found John Reed. Its super cool, almost club-like vibe with art on the walls and good music was a little intimidating at first. The "beginner-friendly atmosphere" and closeness to home sealed the deal. Last night, I picked out my new workout clothes. I packed my water bottle, a small towel, and my headphones to enjoy my favorite music.
Stepping Inside Gym!
Walking into John Reed's reception area was like stepping into an art gallery combined with a cool lounge. There was polished concrete, vibrant neon lights, and interesting art everywhere. A really fit woman with an impossibly cheerful smile chirped, "Guten Morgen!" My mind was still waking up to the reality of an 8 AM start. I mumbled a shaky reply, and she pointed me toward the changing rooms.Suddenly Met A Trainer!
Then a tiny bit of curiosity sparked inside me. A woman, probably in her late 50s, was moving so smoothly on an elliptical machine. Next to her, a young guy with a serious face was squeaking through bicep curls, his muscles bulging. It was like a mini-world right there, everyone working towards their own goals. And now, I, Alexa Hayes, was part of it.
I decided to start with the cardio machines; they seemed the least scary. I slowly walked up to a treadmill, feeling super self-conscious as I got on. My fingers hovered over the buttons, not knowing what to press. Mistake number two: I thought all treadmills were the same. This one had way more complicated settings than I expected. Suddenly, a really kind trainer, seeing my hesitation, came over.
"First time?" he asked, his voice calm and super encouraging. I nodded, so incredibly thankful he understood. He quickly showed me how to start the machine, adjust the speed, and even gave me a few tips on how to stand properly. His easygoing vibe immediately made me feel better. Maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be as terrifying as I'd imagined.
Mind Changed!
I started walking, then moved to a slow jog, a wobbly pace that slowly started to feel more normal. The steady thud of my feet on the belt was surprisingly calming. I focused on my breath and the slight pain in my legs to avoid feeling like I didn't belong.
As the minutes passed, something cool started to happen. It wasn't just my body working; it was a change in my mind. With every step, a tiny bit of my fear floated away. The worry about being judged slowly disappeared, replaced by a new feeling of accomplishment. I was actually doing it! I was here, moving, sweating, pushing myself beyond what felt comfortable.
Mid-workout, I grabbed my water bottle. It was just plain water, but it felt like the most amazing, refreshing drink I'd ever had. I probably guzzled half the bottle during that first 30 minutes alone. Hydration: definitely doing that right, even if I was just thirsty!
Then...
My eyes drifted to the big mirror at the front of John Reed, showing all these different people moving. And there, among everyone else, was my own reflection. I wasn't comfortable yet. But I was here, a tiny part of this huge effort to get better. And in that moment, something new sparked inside me: curiosity. What else could I do? What hidden strengths were waiting in this body I was just starting to get to know again?
The rest of the hour was a blur of trying new things. I hopped on a stationary bike, then an elliptical, each attempt making me feel a little more confident. I even dared to go near the free weights section, though I only used the lightest dumbbells, copying what I saw others doing. There was a real feeling of satisfaction in feeling my muscles respond, a slight ache that promised future strength.
Back To Home:
When I left John Reed, the cool Berlin air felt different. Fresher. Lighter. My body was absolutely wiped out, a deep, satisfying exhaustion I hadn't felt in ages. But my mind felt alive. The scary feeling from before was totally gone, replaced by a quiet buzz of excitement. This wasn't just about getting fit; it was about taking back control, pushing my own limits, and discovering a new side of myself.As soon as I got home, the hunger hit me like a train. I vaguely remembered a friend talking about eating protein after a workout, so I dug out a chocolate protein bar I had stashed in the cupboard. It tasted like pure heaven, probably because I was so incredibly tired and hungry. I literally just collapsed on my couch, devoured it, and felt a wave of relief and accomplishment wash over me.
My first day at John Reed Berlin was definitely a jolt, but it was a jolt of pure life. And I couldn't wait to see what tomorrow would bring. My journey had just begun, and it felt like anything was possible.









Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen